User Experience Lead
Do you have exceptional skills in leading user experience design, research, and information architecture activities? Join a team at the Treasury Board Secretariat that drives digital transformation using design thinking strategies and experience design methods and deliverables to support the enterprise intranet for the Ontario Public Service (OPS). We work in multidisciplinary, inclusive, collaborative teams. We offer flexible work arrangements, where big ideas and extraordinary people come together to drive change. Bring your curiosity and build the future with us.
Note: This position is located at 222 Jarvis Street, Toronto; however, alternate work arrangements, including flexible hours, hybrid (remote work), and a compressed work week, may be available.
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful, and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-public-service-anti-racism-policy > and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ops-inclusion-diversity-blueprint > pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code < http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/ontario-human-rights-code >. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• lead user experience design across the organization, including the development of standards and practices
• lead content and feature development for the enterprise intranet through assessment of clients' needs and goals, ensuring that specifications follow standards and best practices
• provide user experience design strategy and advice to all levels of staff in ministry offices and Cabinet Office
• lead user research to identify personas, use cases, and feature and design development
• determine and identify opportunities for new functionality and design supported by user research, analytics, and user testing
• facilitate a variety of design-thinking activities and collaborative sessions to understand the problem a digital solution needs to solve
• work closely with the development team to communicate user needs and requirements for features and functionality
• lead prototyping and visual user interface design activities, including creating low- and high-fidelity mock-ups that illustrate the product's functionality and present these to clients and stakeholders for review
• take a user-centred design approach and rapidly test and iterate your designs
• lead strategies for enterprise information architecture to identify opportunities for new functionality and implementing new designs
• lead Search Engine Optimization (SEO) with data analysis and performance metrics, identify trends and insights, and provide optimization strategies to improve the search
How do I qualify?
• You have expertise in human-centred design and developing and executing strategies that improve overall user interactions with digital products and services, resulting in measurable enhancements and positive user feedback.
• You have advanced knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite line of products (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere, Dreamweaver) and strong user interface and visual design skills, with demonstrated experience creating design deliverables such as mood boards, collaboration boards, empathy maps, user flows, wireframes, mock-ups, presentations, and reports.
• You have knowledge of current internet, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) international standards, web accessibility standards (WCAG 2.0 AA), and implementation and testing tools and methods (e.g. JAWS, browser extensions, A/B testing, usability testing, heatmaps).
• You have expert knowledge of agile project management and user-centred service design.
• You have knowledge of usability and user-experience principles, methodologies, and techniques, including navigation design, accessibility, information architecture, web analytics and user testing.
Project Management and Team Leadership Skills:
• You can draw on your expertise to develop and maintain a high bar for user experience standards and performance measures.
• You have effective project management, team leadership, client service delivery, motivational and coordination skills.
• You are highly skilled in communications planning within a large organization.
• You can interpret and apply policies, standards and legislation.
• You can produce top-quality work in collaboration with a team in a high-pressure environment with tight timelines.
• You can effectively provide rationales for design decisions in group settings with multiple stakeholders.
Relationship Management, Consultation and Communication Skills:
• You have excellent stakeholder and relationship management skills to develop and maintain effective partnerships and obtain endorsement of digital strategies.
• You have negotiation and conflict management skills to seek common ground between parties.
• You demonstrate superior communication, interpersonal, consultation, collaboration and presentation skills.
• You have strong writing and editing skills to develop materials and provide critical assessment of own work.
• You have demonstrated advisory skills and diplomacy to provide strategic digital communications advice to executives.
Analytical, Research and Problem-Solving Skills:
• You have knowledge of scientific and social science theories and research pertaining to user experience and design of interfaces.
• You have strong analytical, research and problem-solving skills to support and prioritize changes, conduct evaluations and lead quality assurance audits.
• You demonstrate sound judgment and discretion to develop and recommend digital standards and guidelines, resolve complex/contentious issues and work with sensitive information.
• You have excellent organizational skills to deal with unexpected and conflicting work demands, tight deadlines and priority projects.
• You have a solid understanding of how user research methods (such as generative and evaluative) can be incorporated continuously in the digital product lifecycle.
• You can effectively create user research plans, recruit participants for user testing, facilitate user research, analyse findings, and deliver insights.
Salary Range: $76,382 - $112,555 Per Year
· 1 Permanent, 222 Jarvis St, Toronto, Toronto Region
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 202943, by Thursday, September 14, 2023. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.