UX Designer (Temporary)
Position: UX Designer (Temporary)
Reports to: Senior Director, Digital Operations and Strategy
Location: US-Based Home Office
Status: Full Time; Exempt
Start Date: Immediate* (This is a temporary position budgeted from November 2023 through June 2024)
We're seeking an experienced User Experience (UX) Designer to collaborate with our Digital team, address design challenges, and keep our personas and journey maps updated and actionable. Our core aim is to enhance the user and learner experience across our facinghistory.org and increase our internal capacity to support the site. This role involves comprehensive user research, insightful reporting, and leading training initiatives to keep our team updated on industry practices.
This is a temporary role starting in November 2023 and ending in June 2024.
Scope of Work
User and Learner Experience Design Consultation (40%):
- Collaborate closely with the Digital team to identify and address design challenges. Develop (and iterate on) wireframes and prototypes for new site content, features, or redesigns.
- Develop an approach, plan and/or series of communications and meetings to support our goal of having up-to-date and useful personas and user journey maps.
- Maintaining and updating documentation for components and templates emphasizing design, functionality, and best practices for each element creating an accessible reference guide, ensuring that designers, developers, and content managers consistently understand and implement these components.
- Develop ‘how-to’ guide and plan for quarterly audit of the user and learning experience on facinghistory.org.
User Research & Reporting (30%):
- Oversee diverse research activities, from setting objectives to execution ensuring our research meets the highest standards.
- Generate qualitative and quantitative performance reports that assess the site against goals; generate recommendations for improvements.
- Spearhead quarterly user experience listening sessions with key stakeholders, creating an environment where staff feel valued and heard. Understand and integrate the needs of our program and marketing teams into our approach to UX design.
- Transform raw feedback into structured, comprehensive reports. Distill insights into recommendations, ensuring our product strategy is rooted in user feedback.
- Review and provide recommendations on our analytics dashboard for our site. Keep the dashboard updated with the latest KPIs.
Training & Knowledge Sharing (30%):
- Lead a multi-disciplinary working group on UX, LX, SEO and accessibility, fostering a culture of collaboration and continuous learning. Facilitate monthly sessions where each domain can tap into ?others' expertise, driving holistic strategies.
- Curate a robust set of training materials and sessions, ensuring our team remains at the forefront of industry best practices. Plan and deliver monthly trainings on UX/UI best practices. Share regular updates on UX improvements and strategies with the Digital team.
Facing History understands that restrictive job requirements may exclude historically marginalized groups from applying to jobs for which they are qualified. We take an equitable and holistic screening approach. If you feel you have demonstrated experience and expertise relevant to perform this role, please don’t hesitate to apply!
We expect the selected UX Designer to have the following expertise:
- Proficient in UX/UI design tools such as Sketch, Figma, or Adobe XD.
- Skilled in understanding user needs and translating data insights into actionable design strategies.
- Knowledgeable in agile project management methodologies for efficient roadmapping and sprint planning.
- Familiar with analytics tools, including SEO/SEM, HubSpot, Google Tag Manager, and Google Analytics.
- Experience with large-scale/enterprise use of Drupal, similar CMS, and associated governance.
- Adept at conducting and analyzing A/B tests and usability studies to validate design decisions.
- Excellent communicator with the ability to articulate design concepts and collaborate seamlessly across departments.
Benefits Summary: In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, Facing History provides an excellent and competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life & long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) program, generous paid time off, an employee assistance plan & a travel assistance plan, pre-tax Transit-pass program, flexible spending health care and dependent care accounts, additional voluntary insurance plans through Colonial Life, and a friendly work environment.
Facing History values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Facing History’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. At Facing History, we honor and value the uniqueness of each and every human being. Our strength as an organization that provides and distributes educational content and pedagogy to teachers across the globe is directly tied to our diversity of staff, leadership, educators, students, scholars, and volunteers. Our commitment is to treat individuals with dignity and to build and maintain a community of full participation, inclusive of the voices, needs, and contributions of all. As an organization, we are deeply aware of the legacies of injustices that persist in society and in the workplace, and we value and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in their association with excellence.
Hybrid Work Model: Facing History and Ourselves operates in a hybrid work model, allowing staff flexibility in both schedules and work locations.
Covid Protocol at Facing History: At Facing History and Ourselves, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 including any boosters required to be “up-to-date” per current CDC guidelines. All new employees must provide proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Requests for medical or religious exemptions should be directed to our Sr. Director, Human Resources.
Facing History and Ourselves